We envision a world in which every child awakeNS to a day of possibilities.
Our guiding principles are at the very core of our organization. We operate under this blanket of core values, which guides our direction and our mission, and keeps everyone on the same journey.
At Sleeping Children Around the World:
- We believe that it is the basic right of every child to have a comfortable night's sleep
- 100% of all bedkit donations go directly to its contents. No portion is used to pay for operating expenses
- We provide hope and joy and aim to preserve the dignity of each child we help
- We verify that each bedkit is received by a child in need
- All donations are of "free will" giving. We will not undertake telemarketing, door to door appeals, mass mailings or use professional fundraisers to help our cause
HOW IT ALL BEGAN
During a retirement trip to Pakistan, Murray Dryden tripped over a child sleeping on the street. This was the genesis of Sleeping Children Around the World.
In life, we make choices, and Murray faced two pivotal choices at that moment:
Continue walking and realize this is a reality for some children or
Devote his life from that time forward to help alleviate the pain and suffering of children by helping them get a good night’s sleep.
On returning home Murray shared his story with his wife Margaret.
Together they chose to become champions of children in developing countries and help those in need with the gift of sleep.
In 1970, and using their own money Murray travelled to Pune, India to purchase and deliver 50 bedkits.
He returned home with photographs of children peacefully sleeping in their new beds, and told his story to many local friends, who not only encouraged Murray to continue, but also generously offered to support the cause.
Fast-forward to 2015 and the numbers speak volumes. The organization has raised more than 40 million dollars and delivered more than 1.4 million bedkits.
Murray and Margaret Dryden started a global movement helping children sleep better. Forty-five years ago they made a choice that has transformed over a million lives.
Their legacy continues to this day.